Travel Recommendation: Zaragoza and Sabiñánigo

Overlooking Zaragoza and the Ebro River


Day 1

This past weekend I hopped on a bus and traveled to Zaragoza. It is the capital of the autonomous community of Aragon. WARNING: buses in Spain never arrive on time. Clara, an old friend, showed me around Zaragoza which is where she attends college. The surrounding areas of the University of Zaragoza reminded me of a lively college atmosphere back in the United States. I dropped my luggage off at her apartment and we were immediately out in the thick of the nightlife of Zaragoza. Since I had not eaten all day, our first stop was Londons—a simple college restaurant. Clara and her friends are frequent customers here for the cheap food and drinks. I scoffed down a Jamón Serrano sandwich with green chilis and sardines. Jamón Serrano is a type of dry-cured Spanish ham quite popular in Spain and one of Clara’s favorites. While we enjoyed our sandwiches, she told me a story about her arrival in the United States five years ago. Going through customs, after her flight to Denver from Zaragoza, TSA confiscated her dry-cured ham and it devastated her. She even said tears formed in her eyes later that night because she knew she would not be able to find it in the United States. Shame on you TSA!

Fountain Park in Zaragoza

Day 2

My first full day in Zaragoza just happened to fall on Friday, October 12th Spain’s National Day. On this date, The Pilar Festival takes place. It is celebrated every year in Zaragoza and brings people from all over Spain representing their traditional cultures through clothing, dance, and song. Each group makes a trail of flowers while dancing and singing their hearts away until they reach the Plaza de Pilar. Here they rest their flowers on a tower as an offering to the Virgin Mary. We witnessed true Spanish dances and admired many traditional pieces of clothing. Subsequently, we spent the rest of the day tapa hopping experiencing the delicious food at some of her favorite tapa bars.

The Flower Tower


Garlic mushroom mini sandwhiches 


First time trying morcilla!



Day 3

We woke up early in the morning and drove to her hometown of Sabiñánigo. There her family living in a beautiful home at the top of the village took me up into the Pyrenees. We spent the day hiking and enjoying the abnormally warm weather. After our hike, we ate at a remote restaurant near the village. I ordered the menu del dia which included risotto, rabbit, and Arroz con leche. Too much surprise, I enjoyed the rabbit. It is a healthier option than chicken because it contains less fat.  After our meal, we only took a few steps outside to the restaurant’s patio to sit and have a coffee. The social and family aspect of the culture in Spain has truly amazed me. I aspire to see my family as frequently as possible when I return to the United States. Being here has enlightened me on the true importance of spending time with all your family. That night at around 10 pm her grandma made tortilla de patatas for dinner. Her tortilla de patatas humiliated the tortilla de patatas I made with Jamie at our cooking class a few weeks ago.  



A reservoir  that desperately needs water in the Pyrenees 




Day 4

On Sunday, before my bus back to Barcelona, we explored Sabiñánigo. We walked to the park, the church, and the main street. Afterword’s we walked back to her house where her dad had made paella for the whole family. It was the perfect send off to an amazing weekend. And yes, the bus was late arriving in Barcelona.


Seafood Paella

Quince fruit dish. YUMMY!!!



Stay Woke.






Adéu

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Travel Recommendation: Montserrat